Each day we go to work, sit in meetings, listen to people rant about nothing, drive home and get ready to deal with the kids, spouse, pets, and anything else that drives us to want to walk back out the door. Let’s face it, by the time we get home from work we are exhausted, and the last thing we need to hear is a tiny voice telling us how hungry they are! All we want to do is sit on the sofa, watch a little bit of The Walking Dead, and catch up on other things that require us to do the least amount of thinking. We go into this phase every day will slowly make us want to murder someone or blow up like Rebecca did on the last episode “This is Us.”
We don’t want to lose ourselves and look in the mirror one day and say to ourselves, “geez what the heck happen to me?” Life can and will do that if we don’t tackle it day by day. It’s easy to not want to be motivated when we have a thousand and one things going through our minds every day. The good news is this…we can control what we think, we are the operator of our wonderful minds. So its time to get down to business! We can do it, we can get off the couch and tackle life when it tries to knock us off of our feet.
- Control what goes in your body: we are what we eat. I know you’ve heard that before right? Take a moment and observe what you eat daily. Are you eating healthy? Do your food consist of green things on your plate? Do you have a sugar diet, where you are eating cakes, ice-cream, cookies etc.? If so you MUST change your diet, and I mean like today! Eating unhealthy foods has a lot to do with how we feel. Sure a cup of coffee is not going to hurt anyone, but coffee, along with cake in the afternoon and cookies for dinner is not ideal. Sugar makes us sluggish and heavy foods are not good for us. It makes us tired, do you ever recall wanting to go right to bed after eating Thanksgiving dinner? I think we’ve all mastered that at some point in our lives. It’s hard to get things done when you are on a full stomach of unhealthy foods.
- Pick a hobby you enjoy: do you like painting, dancing, or journaling? Join a social club that peeks your interest! It’s important to socialize ourselves around people who have similar interest, it will get you out the house and you will have something to look forward to. Every get excited about happy hour? It’s something like that, except for the alcohol, (unless you want to bring some, I am sure your peers won’t mind). We all have hobbies for a reason, it relaxes us and allows us to unwind from a heavy work day. Think about it, how good would you feel if you spent an hour a day doing what you love? You would be at ease, wouldn’t you?
- Exercise: in today’s society people are so health conscious and it’s important. People are living longer and enjoying what life has to offer. They are not stuck in the house due to aches and pains. Exercising allows us to sleep better, it moves our joints and reduces health risk. We all want to live long enough to see our great great great grandchildren right? We also want to see if cars will actually fly, but in order to have a long life, we have to exercise. Now I am not talking about heavy lifting and turning our bodies into body builders, but do some simple exercises like getting on the treadmill, elliptical, or joining a Zumba or swim class. Exercising allows you to socialize and most gyms provide daycare centers so you can workout while your little ones are running around and getting on somebody else’s nerves. It’s a win-win!
- Take small breaks throughout the day: instead of gossiping about what the supervisor is or is not doing, go out and get some fresh air. I noticed when I go out for a walk during work hours I feel so much better when I come back to my desk. There is something about fresh air that clears my mind and thought process. Take two fifteen minute breaks in addition to your lunch. Read a magazine or two while you are on your break if you can’t go for a walk. Allow your mind to debrief from the work life. It’s so important for our mental state to be able to sit back and not worry about things life throws in our faces.
- Unclutter your life: it’s easy to want to be lazy when you are overwhelmed with work and life’s tactics. It might take a few days but it’s important to tackle some of the things that are challenging. One way you can do this is by:
- Thinking about what you need to work on and spend at least 1-2 hours working on that project.
- Schedule time to do something relaxing whether is meditation, listening to music, or watching your favorite television show. It’s important to enjoy your lazy time yes…you can be lazy for a moment but make sure it’s not too long!
FYI this is a working progress! You will have some slip ups where you are exhausted and want to sit back on the sofa and eat corn chips and cupcakes for the evening. There will be days when you won’t be able to squeeze in meditation time and will have to tend to children crying and complaining about something. There will be days when exercise will be on the agenda in the morning and it won’t happen when you come in from work, but that’s okay! Whenever we do something new we have to be ready for some setbacks. However, baby steps work and as long as you are working on the task at hand you will be all right.
Community Convo: What are some of the things you can do to relax your mind? Do you have issues fitting in “me time”?